Tuesday, August 25, 2009

It's So Hard to Say Good-bye

Yep, I broke out a Boyz 2 Men lyric; this must be serious.

This week marks the end of two student staff tenures at the OHP. Both of these people attended/participated the 2008 WOHD and assisted in the preparation and implementation of the 2009 WOHD. On top of that, they both toiled under my draconian leadership for well over a year each. For this they deserved more than a farewell letter. But I hope this missive will pass for some type of golden parachute.

Allison Page started working for us in late 2007 as part of the student team involved in the Forest Products Lab oral history project. Except for initial project planning and funds securing, Allison played a role in every other aspect of this endeavor. She worked on the project through the 2008 calendar year, first as a graduate student at the campus’ library school, then as a limited-term employee after she graduated with her M.A. in May 2008. After she helped put that project to bed, Allison worked on various projects for our program, including doing her share of the behind-the-scenes work for the 2009 WOHD. She helped me keep my sanity during the build up and presentation of the Day, and she also built this blog in its aftermath.

Sarah Mueller began her “career” with us in May 2008, one month after she attended that year’s WOHD. Over the last 15 months, she accomplished more than I can describe here. She digitized extent oral histories; summarized, cataloged, and updated our website for recently conducted interviews; answered reference questions sent from around the state and country; started work to collaborate with the campus digital collection center to post audio and summaries to a soon-to-be-created UW—Madison Campus Voices web presentation; and handled just about every small fire that I sent to her to extinguish. She, too, graduated from the library school with her M.A.; in her case she just finished this month. Plus, she shared with me her love of Def Leppard, one of the 1980s Hair Bands. Since I, too, have rocked out to their music, we bonded.

Most important they helped me as I continued to implement the changes to bring the OHP into the 21st Century. Their enthusiasm, sense of humor, willingness to try new ideas or to propose new ways to look at things, and their work ethic will be tough to replace. They leave to greener pastures: Allison to help lead a group of students going to Ireland; Sarah to look for gainful employment in the U.S. South. I wish them good luck and good times.

But on top of their solid contributions to the advancement of WOHD and OHP, I will take with me the memories [of them] to be my sunshine after the rain. Yep, I finish with Boyz 2 Men, too. Corny, yes, but sometimes the sappiest sentiment sounds the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment